ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] NCUC proposals to amend gnso recommendations on new gtld policy

  • To: <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] NCUC proposals to amend gnso recommendations on new gtld policy
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:12:54 -0700

None of those cases are on point, all involve 2d or higher-level
domains.  I do not dispute that there are many non-commercial uses of
trademarks that are legit.  On the other hand, operating a TLD that
corresponds to a well-known trademark, without consent of trademark
holder, would be an inherently commercial activity likely to cause
confusion and enable criminal conduct.  Such commercial activity would
not be protected by any of the precedents you cite, or any other
principal of law that I am aware of.

Mike Rodenbaugh

Sr. Legal Director

Yahoo! Inc.

NOTICE:  This communication is confidential and may be protected by
attorney-client and/or work product privilege.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify me by reply, and delete this
communication and any attachments.