ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] NCUC proposals to amend gnso recommendations on new gtld policy

  • To: Mike Rodenbaugh <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] NCUC proposals to amend gnso recommendations on new gtld policy
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 20:48:39 -0700 (PDT)

Mike,

I have failed to see any sound cost modeling that makes it a
necessity for a tld application to cost the applicant several
dozens of thousands dollars. Such cost derives from a policy
decision that has its own assumptions, and even its own biases
(all economies are not equal, yet it's practically possible to
operate a tld from or within most of them.)

So the cost, on which you seem to base your whole reasoning as
per your email below, is not an act of God; not even the most
unchallengeable human act. And please be aware that there are
serious people, not necessarily from within NCUC, including
individual ICANN Board member(s), who argue for the structure of
tld application cost to be revised and adapted. After all, why a
uniformly, not to say arbitrarily, high cost should ever be the
unique reason that would prevent a grassroots community, e.g.,
with a sizeable base and an identity, to apply for a gtld?

A collateral remark here: with a universal-like tld such as
.com, at least for businesses and most trademark holders (though
this is less and less the case), the same problem migrates at
2nd level, and among all those quickly labeled cybersquatters, I
believe there were a few individuals who registered the same
names as trademarks with no commercial intentions or use, but
were still dispossessed of their 2nd level tld based on
ICANN-related policies. I don't have any specific reference at
hand to provide, but I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong here.
In the mean time, this makes me wonder whether you're not too
optimistic in thinking that things are or will be fondamentally
different between tld and second level, and on the other hand
whether you're not taking too quick a shortcut by implying that
the difference in policy for different levels of the dns (which
makes some sense in commercial terms) will necessarily lead to a
difference in the rights warranted to individuals by the law.

Anyway, it may be silly to predicate that a horde of applicants
are standing the queue to apply for a trademark tld, but I don't
think it's wise to assume that this will never ever happen. With
such assumption, we surely do everything possible to ban that
from hapening (without even noticing it), which is a clear
stance against those rights Robin has been talking about. Your
call for ICANN to disallow such possibility is interesting in
that regard. However, I fail to see the *legal* grounds for
rights that you recognize at second and lower level of the dns
to be banned from the top level.

Mawaki

http://pacer.ca6.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/getopn.pl?OPINION=03a0043p.06