ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

[gtld-council] Regarding ICANN"s authority

  • To: <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gtld-council] Regarding ICANN"s authority
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 01:44:52 +1000

Hello Robin,

> Self-appointed authority is not the same thing as legitimate
> authority.

Ah - that is a higher question.  Ie whether ICANN has the right to
manage the system of identifiers.

My understanding is that ICANN has been created as a multi-stakeholder
organisation to do that.

The closest to a mandate is probably:

http://www.icann.org/general/icann-mou-25nov98.htm

And more recently:

http://www.icann.org/general/JPA-29sep06.pdf

However I am sure you know more about this than me.  I am familiar with
the bylaws and the GNSO procedures only.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin