ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

[gtld-council] Proposed date for a face-to-face meeting on PDP-Dec05 - new gTLDs and possibly IDNs as well - 31 Aug to 2 Sept 2006

  • To: <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gtld-council] Proposed date for a face-to-face meeting on PDP-Dec05 - new gTLDs and possibly IDNs as well - 31 Aug to 2 Sept 2006
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:02:40 +1000

Hello All,

In Marrakech, the GNSO Council discussed holding another face-to-face
meeting to complete the work of the new gTLD policy development process
to produce a Final Report ready for consideration by the GNSO Council.

I am also hopeful that in the GNSO Council meeting on 20 July 2006 we
can initiate the policy development process on IDN-gTLDs.  I think it
would be useful to spend a day considering the special nature of new
IDN-gTLDs.   During the GNSO Public Forum some members of the ICANN
community expressed the view that IDN based new gTLDs may be more urgent
than more gTLDs based on the latin script.

I have a narrow window when I would be available to chair a meeting
between now and Sao Paulo.

I am available very late in August 2006, or very early in September
2006.

I have had a initial discussion with the policy staff, and the dates I
propose is:

Thursday 31 August 2006 to Saturday 2 September 2006

With respect to location I am flexible.   If we hold it in Europe in may
be more convenient for the policy development staff.  If we hold it in
Marina Del Ray, USA - it may be useful to engage the operational ICANN
staff including staff in the General Counsel's office - particularly as
we begin to focus on the implementation of the policy recommendations,
and also begin to consider IDNs further.

Given the last meeting was in Europe, it may be appropriate to hold this
next meeting in the USA.

Please advise via this mailing list, or to the GNSO Secretariat, if you
would be available on the dates above, and whether you have a strong
view on location.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin