ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

[gtld-council] NCUC update: Principle, Rec. #6 and Rec. #20

  • To: gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gtld-council] NCUC update: Principle, Rec. #6 and Rec. #20
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 06:35:31 -0700 (PDT)

Colleagues,

Just to update you before the call on the status with NCUC's
concerns as we have started discussing in San Juan:

i) We agree with Bruce's proposal to have the concern about FoE
addressed in the Principles instead of in the Recommendations,
as follows:

"The string evaluation process must not infringe the applicant's
freedom of expression rights that are protected under
internationally recognized principles of law."

ii) We have proposed the following language for Rec. #6, our
request being to delete the mention to "morality" and "public
order" (those issues are subject to individual (national)
legislations, and will be so addressed whenever relevant):

"Strings must not be contrary to legal norms that are
enforceable under generally accepted and internationally
recognized principles of law.
Taking into account the aforementioned limitations, no
application shall be rejected solely because the applicant or
string is associated with an unpopular or controversial point of
view."

iii) For Rec. #20, we want to narrow it to only technical &
operational evaluation. Remove the ability for competitors and
critics to object for an infinite number of reasons. So we want
to limit the TYPE of objections that can be made in #20. As
currently worded the type of objections we invite are unlimited.

Thank you,

Mawaki