ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] Update on new TLDs discussion: small group work on "morality and public order"

  • To: <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] Update on new TLDs discussion: small group work on "morality and public order"
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 08:35:22 -0400

Robin,

I fully understand that all of us including ICANN have to follow
applicable national laws.  But it doesn't seem to me that the criteria
for dispute resolution for recommendations 3 and 6 would involve
national laws.  Unless I am missing something, and I could be, the
criteria that expert panels would apply would be based on applicable
interational law.

Also, if I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like you are saying
that the expert panels would have to take into consideration national
law of the applicant in every dispute.  That seems unfeasible to me and
I don't think that was what the committee intended in referring to
international law.

Chuck Gomes