ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] Recommendation 20

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] Recommendation 20
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:09:58 -0700 (PDT)

Chuck,

N.B. This is me expressing opinion in my personal capacity, for
the sake of clarification/clarity before any discussion takes
place, and any position be expressed.

As worded, this version raises 2 questions:
- "closely related community" to what? to the initial (targeted)
community (so there are two communities), or to the
string/application? In the latter, the wording is not clear, and
I suggest mentioning "related community" once for all at the
outset.

- how does one determine the _authorization_ of an objector to
do so on behalf on the whole community? (you may want to remove
that phrase and replace it by something like "has a legitimate
standing" etc. but I leave it here in square brackets.

Considering those issues, I'd advide a slight editing as
follows.

Mawaki

***

An application that is designed to serve a specific community,
or is closely related to a community, may be rejected if:

1) ICANN receives a timely objection from an established
institution within that community; and

2) the objector demonstrates, based on objective and verifiable
evidence, that:

                    (a) it represents a significant portion of
the community;

                    (b) it [is authorized, or] has legitimate
standing, to object on behalf of the community; and

                    (c) the legitimate rights or interests of
the objecting community will be materially harmed or prejudiced
by introduction of the proposed gTLD.?