ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] Updated recommendation table - new IGP (h)

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>, Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] Updated recommendation table - new IGP (h)
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:42:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Philip's comments made me rethink the use of 'verifiable'.  I
> believe he
> is correct that 'verifiable' could be too high a hurdle.

As I've understood it, his objection only related to the
category of objectors who don't have historical records
necessary to provide *verifiable* evidence by the time of the
application being evaluated.

> Plus, I don't
> think we want the panel going out to do external verification.

This is requested from the objectors, not the panel. Objectors
providing verifiable evidence does not mean that the panel will
have to go out to investigate and check that. The documentation
of the verifiable evidence should be enough for the panel use.

>  In my
> opinion, primarily what we want them to do is to weigh the
> evidence
> provided by the objector(s) against what is provided in the
> proposal for
> the new gTLD.

Agreed, and that objective is not contradictory (and should not
rule out) the need for the objections to be grounded in
verifiable evidence where possible.

Mawaki