ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-dispute]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Geographic names and Dispute Fees

  • To: gtld-evaluation@xxxxxxxxx, gtld-dispute@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Geographic names and Dispute Fees
  • From: Fuatai Purcell <fuataiselafi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 07:47:34 -0800 (PST)

I wish to make three points on the gTLD Draft Applicat Guidbook.

1 ICANN need to revise this section of the guide to ensure that every effort is
made to minimise possible disputes with governments in the future.  The
question is, are the existing guidelines sufficient for governments to
safeguard their legal rights to geographic and country names?

2  Please take into account the small eonomies when you finalise dispute fees.
I am speaking from the point of view of government with a very small national
budget and where US$5000-8000 is a lot of money.

3 This is the most important part. There are still a lot of governments that
have a low awareness and understanding of gTLDs. ICANN should be responsible
for ensuring that governments (all) have a good understanding of GTLDs. My
recommendation is for ICANN to put together a team to organise regional and
subregional workshops on gTLD. That way, if a government doesn't turn up and
they dispute an application, they have to find the money and ICANN can say - we
did the workshop where you were invited but you did not attend.
The private sector is fine as far as I am concerned because they are the
registries, but it is governments, and in particular, the small island
developing states that really need help in understanding the impact of the new
gTLD to them.

Thank you

      Get the latest headlines with Yahoo!Xtra News - http://nz.news.yahoo.com

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>