ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-guide]

GTLD: High cost of protecting trademarks

  • To: "'gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx'" <gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: GTLD: High cost of protecting trademarks
  • From: ABBOTT Ken <Ken.ABBOTT@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 17:58:03 +0100

Dear ICANN,

I work for a technology company with a worldwide footprint of factories and
customer service offices. We are medium-sized, at about 10,000 employees.

Since we have recently (June 2006) been created from the merger of two
companies, we have struggled to get ourselves established under our new name. I
have witnessed firsthand the cost in advertising and PR that it takes to create
awareness of our new brand name.

Naturally a first step in this process was to protect our brand through the
registration of the trademark wherever we do significant business, as well as
registering our domain name in countries where we have a physical presence.
Even so we have bumped up against unscrupulous competitors or partners who have
registered our domain name in their local country when that country's rules
allow for a first-come, first-serve type of registration. Countries like
Norway, where we have an on-going problem, don't adhere to the common domain
name dispute protocol, and we estimate that we will need to spend upwards of 10
000 euros in legal fees to reclaim our domain name in sweden, norway and
denmark simply because a one-time partner saw the opportunity to pre-empt our
registration in these countries.

This is nothing new, and other companies have much greater horror stories I'm
sure.

My concern with the generic TLDs is that we will now be throwing open the door
to many more such opportunistic people. I believe that being the registrant of
a TLD could be a business model in itself, irrespective of the service offered.
After all, the cost of managing DNS services are very low compared with the
typical $35/year, or more, fees that we must pay per domain. You are all too
well aware of the phenomenon of domain registrars putting zero-cost options on
certain domain names to protect them for themselves. I believe that there may
be a serious profit motive inherent in creating spurious TLDs and creating the
kind of land-rush phenomenon we see with every new TLD. My registrar recently
gave me 2 reasons for registering .tel : all his other big accounts were doing
it, and I should protect my trademark name because it is easier to prevent than
cure.

The predictions are for "hundreds" of new top-level domains. Does that mean
that my company, along with the tens of thousands of other companies around the
world with investments in a worldwide brand, must be prepared to protect our
trademark every time someone wants to start a new generic TLD? I don't think
that your Module 5, section 7 goes far enough to protect legitimate brand
owners. From my perspective I prefer the so called "closed" domains whereby I
have to prove ownership of a trademark before being able to register. I know
that when I am ready to do business in one of these places, I will be able to
legitimately claim and use the associated domain name. Before that time, I am
confident that no one else will be milking my investment in brand recognition
for their personal profit.

I would urge you to put more teeth into the section that protects trademarks. I
would suggest that all entities wishing to create a generic TLD be required to
clear any second level names against a database of registered trademarks. As
long as the person registering can show that they own a trademark somewhere in
the world for that name, they are a legitimate candidate. Anyone who tries to
register a trademarked name would be refused.

I'm sure it would be complicated to rule on spelling differences and use of
hyphens, but at the very least the exact spelling as shown in the database
could be protected.

Ultimately a domain name is worth whatever is invested to make it recognizable,
either through advertising or the quality content which makes it rank well in
Google and other search engines. But the generic TLD project as it stands risks
aggravating the problem faced by companies like mine which must manage well
over a hundred domains in order to protect one single brand. I'm not sure who
the driving forces are behind this initiative, but certainly if I were to be a
cynical registrar I would be pushing hard for it because it represents the
potential to scare my clients into registering not just hundreds, but thousands
of domain names they will never really use, and managing a portfolio of domain
names like that looks like easy money to me.

Thank you for reading my comments,

Cordially,

Ken Abbott
Manager, Web Communications
Gemalto
Tel: +33 4 42 36 55 67 - +33 6 74 41 14 42
Fax: +33 4 42 36 50 97
BP 100
13881 Gémenos CEDEX
ken.abbott@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ken.abbott@xxxxxxxxxxx>