ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-guide]

ICANN and the future of the internet

  • To: gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN and the future of the internet
  • From: Tom <kingsnames@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:34:41 -0800 (PST)

I think the internet is in danger of being seriously destabilized if ICANN
proceeds with allowing uncapped domain pricing in new tlds which could then be
done in older tlds like .com and .info and org. As well, with a looming
depression on the horizon, as the State of New York made clear in an earlier
post, I think it is unwise to proceed with a new tld rollout which may create
all kinds of costs with the one above being the gravest.

At this point, I feel ICANN should be concerned only with making domain prices
as low as possible and keeping the internet as safe as possible. It should
abandon a new tld rollout, especially one that could see domain prices and
general internet business costs skyrocket in a depression. ICANN should also
reduce its own cost and I think its actions should be more transparent and
subject to more supervision by Congress. There is a lot more improvement that
needs to happen with the current tlds in terms of lower prices with no variable
or unrestricted or tiered pricing possible, making sure expired names go into
the rgp cycle, etc.

Tom