ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-strategy-draft]

[gtld-strategy-draft] introduction and termination of TLDs

  • To: gtld-strategy-draft@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gtld-strategy-draft] introduction and termination of TLDs
  • From: Elmar Knipp <Elmar.Knipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:33:57 -0700

Dear ICANN,

this paper show good progress for introduction of new TLDs and a proof
that ICANN is willing and doing to fulfill the MoU with the DoC. Thank
you.

Anyway, one aspect is missing. With the introduction of new TLDs the
likelihood of a fail of a TLD is increasing. I don't want to be
pessimistic but for completeness and for symmetry the strategy for
termination should also be clearly defined.

Without this, the paper remembers me to the growing industries 30 years
ago and today nobody wants to handle all the crap and waste we have in the
environmental pollution. (I am NOT saying new TLDs are waste! ;-)  E.g. a
new Porsche has a hight value today but in 10 years it is waste.
Comparable a new TLD could have a high value for the Internet today but in
10 years it is useless and the proomoters are disappeared and the general
public has to pay for the survival.

Just some thoughts. But please go forward with the process of new TLDs.

All the best,
Elmar

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                         44227 Dortmund
                                         Germany