ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-transition]

Pricing Controls

  • To: gtld-transition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Pricing Controls
  • From: Timothy Smith <timsmith19@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 18:34:47 -0500

I am stating my opinion against the lack of price controls in future (and possibly existing) tld registry agreements. Transparency, while important, is not good enough. Since names are technically just rented the ability for the 'landlord' to raise the rent upon renewal date beyond reason is wrong. If this happened with commercial leasing there would be regulations enforced upon landlords. With commercial leasing at least the tenant has the right to buy their own building and control their expense. With domains that option does not exist so the ability to change the rental fee to an exorbitant amount based on desire of registry to 'make a killing', professional dislike of current owner, or perceived inappropriate use of the 'space' is unfair, immoral, and should be restricted.

The landlord has the right to a fair price as dictated by the market and the willingness of someone to pay their rent. They do not have the right to increase that rent beyond a reasonable increase.

Tim Smith
Team Smith Properties