ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtldfinalreport-2007]

My comments on the report

  • To: "gtldfinalreport-2007" <gtldfinalreport-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: My comments on the report
  • From: "李光皓" <Liguanghao@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:10:55 +0800

I appreciate the efforts that GNSO has put into this report. And I have
comments for the following points.

First, in the recommendation two, there is a clause for “confusingly
similar”. The report has not formally defined what it is the scope of the
term. If it means “visually, phonetic, and conceptually”, then I would like a
clearer definition of what is considered as conceptual confusingly similar. And
I would like to see an example or an actual case on this.

Second, in the recommendation nineteen, it requires that the new TLD registry
only use ICANN accredited registrar. Although we all agree that maintaining the
stability and the safety of the DNS is in the highest priority, we also agree
that we should foster a system that can best meet users’ requirements. Thus,
the model of use only ICANN accredited registrars may not suitable for new TLDs
that involves IDN strings. I see the reasons as following:
IDN TLD is targeted to serve a specific community or local area, thus it has a
local characteristic. And the local registrars have advantages in language,
culture, close local services and best understanding of local needs. Such a
restrain, has setup obstacles for these registrars to serve the customers, in
term, it hurts the popularization of the IDNs. Thus, I recommend ICANN should
setup a series of criteria and allowing the registry to accredit more local
registrars in compliances with these criteria. In short, I propose that the
management system should be no less creative than the technology that brings us
forward.

Third, I further recommend that there should not be any “IDN version of ASCII
gTLD”. Any IDN TLD string should be a new TLD in no relationship with ASCII
gTLDs, on top of the IDN TLD should not be confusingly similar to the current
TLDs. I see the reasons as following:
1.                 there is no “correct” translation. An ASCII TLD string
usually is an abbreviation of a word in English, and thus, it may have many
interpretations of the same string. For example, “COM” may be interpreted as
“commercial”, “company”, “communication” and so on. Moreover, even a
string has a common understanding in English, when translated, it usually have
more than one corresponding interpretations. Due to such a reason, an ASCII TLD
is extremely difficult to have an “IDN version”.
2.                  in the aspect of user experiences, if an IDN TLD is to be
managed by a registry which is based in English speaking countries, its related
policy, dispute resolution and other administration will very likely to be in
English, and utilize ADR institute base in these countries. All of these will
create obstacles for non-English speaking users, especially in the dispute
resolution. In turn, it will force users which the TLD string intends to serve
to register the domain defensively instead of creating new values for them. It
thus against the original purpose of creating IDN.

Guanghao Li