ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtldfinalreport-2007]

Abuot IDN TLD(from beijingidc.com)

  • To: <gtldfinalreport-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Abuot IDN TLD(from beijingidc.com)
  • From: 北京IDC网 <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:43:03 +0800

Dear ICANN and the community,

We are Chinese registrar, Beijing IDC.com (known as Bejing XingYuan XInDongLi
Technology Co.,Ltd.).We would like to make comments relating the selection of
IDN registrars on GNSO New gTLD final report as follow.

According to the recommendation No.19, it indicates that the new TLD registry
is expected to exclusively employ ICANN accredited registrars. Well, we see
this differently, for we believe that user’s experience of certain IDN domain
name system is essentially determined by the registrar’s capability of serving
the community that dominates. The model of only using ICANN accredited
registrars may not be effective on new TLDs’operation and development that
involves IDN strings.

IDN TLD is obviously known to serve a specific community or territory, one of
the most significant characteristics is the concept of territory-oriented.
There is undoubted factor that local registrars always possess irreplaceable
competitive advantages in language sensitivity, cultural familiarity, and best
understanding of local users’ needs in large. However, the restriction policy
stated in the report holds back the registrars to serve the customers in making
the selection criteria vitally associated with an ICANN accreditation
certificate. It truly hurts the popularization of the IDNs in the long run.
Hence, we would strongly recommend ICANN shall establish a set of comprehensive
criteria and allow the registry accrediting more local registrars in
compliances with these criteria. Again, we hereby propose that the operation
policy of new IDN TLD should be more local-oriented, in which the registrar
selection criteria reform reflects a lot on how ICANN works with its impartial
principle.

We are looking forwards to seeing the feedback.

Thank you very much.

All the best
BeijingIDC.com