ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtldfinalreport-2007]

.vnt for Venice and Venetia's

  • To: "gtldfinalreport-2007@xxxxxxxxx" <gtldfinalreport-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .vnt for Venice and Venetia's
  • From: "pizzatiatveneto.org" <pizzati@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:02:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

in addition to the Breton community, the Basque
country, Galicia and Wales, all following the Catalan example, I would
like to announce that the Veneto region is also looking forward to
applying for a TLD.

While it might not be well known of the
existence of a Venetian language and identity, the Venet Regional
Government has passed this spring new legislation to safeguard
the language once spoken by Marco Polo, Vivaldi, Casanova and now still
spoken by a few million people in the territories surrounding Venice.

Although some might perceive this as a balkanization of domain
names, I find appropriate that websites written in different languages
have their unique domain extension. And since there are more languages
than countries, I would like to thank ICANN for giving the opportunity to
color the world wide web beyond the boundaries found in political maps.

We are looking forward to the application process,

Lodovico Pizzati
veneto.org