ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtldfinalreport-2007]

Low Entry Fee as Beneficial to Interent's Long Term Interest

  • To: <gtldfinalreport-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Low Entry Fee as Beneficial to Interent's Long Term Interest
  • From: "Thomas Lowenhaupt" <toml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:48:46 -0400

Comments by Thomas Lowenhaupt, Director, Connecting.nyc Inc.

Let me first commend the GNSO for its labors in creating the Final Report on
the Introduction of New Top-Level Domains. It goes a long way toward enabling
the fulfillment of a key ICANN role. I've several thoughts about application
fees that might be helpful in making further decisions with regard to New TLDs.

Implementation Guideline B states that "Application fees will be designed to
ensure that adequate resources exist to cover the total cost to administer the
new gTLD process."

 From an economic standpoint it seems clear that a requirement that application
fees fund the upcoming review process will succeed at minimizing ICANN's
current expense budget at the cost of a reduced pool of applicants. Conversely,
one might argue that lower application fees will encourage additional
applicants and new ideas and result in the ICANN receiving larger domain name
fees as these innovations develop, with the resulting new domain name and
renewal fees trickling up to fund the various ICANN efforts.

ICANN's fundamental governance structure and processes recognize that
innovation arises from the bottom. Low application fees offer several benefits:
more applicants, applicants from differing economic circumstances, innovative
ideas, public access to new and innovative TLDs, increased revenue to fund
ICANN's long term projects that support a growing and vibrant Internet.

With new TLDs a key mission of ICANN, it seems inadvisable that there be a
requirement that application fees cover all costs associated with issuing such
new TLDs. Are we heading towards a situation where all of ICANN's missions must
be self sustaining? Are we moving toward a situation in which fees must offset
expenses in other areas, e.g., security?

It seems advisable to invest in the Internet's future with low entry fees.