ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[hstld-snapshot-15feb10]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

High Security Top-Level Domain (HSTLD) - Draft Program Development Snapshot

• To: hstld-snapshot-15feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: High Security Top-Level Domain (HSTLD) - Draft Program Development Snapshot
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 00:44:03 -0700

Dear Sirs

I thank you for the opportunity to comment on ICANN's Request for comments on the High Security Top-Level Domain (HSTLD) - Draft Program Development Snapshot as posted on 22 February 2010.

As a domain registrant and internet user, the certainty that information, important or not, is being transferred, securely when necessary, to and from my machine and whichever other machine I am attempting to contact is absolutely critical to the functionality and usability of the internet. Accordingly, any attempt by any party genuinely interested in increasing that certainty has to be applauded especially since the goals of the paper appear reasonable and the practices and safeguards being suggested do not appear even as onerous as the sort of standards required to qualify for recognition by the International Organisation for Standardisation (which maintains ISO 9000 & 9001). (Furthermore, whilst there was much resistance when ISO 9001 was introduced into the Commercial Property Market back in the early 90's, the policies and procedures companies were required to follow in order to qualify for the designation are frequently cited as having improved the quality of work being produced and or the efficiency with which the various organisations produce it.)

I am concerned however that the goals being addressed ("Principle 1 : The Registry maintains effective controls to provide reasonable assurance that the security, availability and confidentiality of systems and information assets supporting critical registry IT and business operations are maintained.."; Principle 2 : The Registry maintains effective controls to provide reasonable assurance that the processing of core Registry functions are authorised, accurate, complete and performed in a timely manner.."; Principle 3 : The Registry shall ensure it's registrars are behaving as they should; Principle 4 Registrants "are expected to maintain current and accurate information, and to commit to refrain from activities designed to confuse or mislead the internet-using public." ) are of such fundamental importance to the secure operation of the internet that to permit any registry refusing even to consider such changes where such changes advance those lofty aims, to continue operating as a registry would not be in the public interest.

Accordingly, I believe the HSTLD Review Team should focus on improving the minimum standards of all TLDs, especially existing TLD's such as DotCom, to as far as possible completely eradicate these problems since to demand improved procedures for new TLDs, which cannot have been affected by the problems motivating this study in the first place, would in effect be an abandonment of those existing TLDs, which hardly does anything for the stability of the internet.

I am also a little concerned that this report appears only to consider the security of the end-destination site and does not appear to address any of the compromises that could occur in the journey from origin machine to destination. Whilst a desire for screening processes for Registry employees is entirely understandable, it is unlikely any such employee could cause the sort of problems that a rogue ISP could, yet there does not appear to be any consideration of the role of the ISP in this paper.

Finally on a personal note, having had concerns a while ago that my email and web hosting accounts had been compromised only for my email account host (Yahoo) and my web host (NetSol), to refuse to communicate in writing except by email I would like to make a suggestion. Could ICANN please encourage registries (and other businesses such as Yahoo, Priceline, Expedia etc) to provide physical contact addresses so that customers writing to those addresses can be provided with written responses, on company letter headed paper, albeit perhaps for a small charge, to confirm, since email is not the most secure of communications, as far as possible, that whatever email correspondence might have been received is genuine and authorised .

Once again I thank you for the opportunity to make these comments and submit a suggestion.

Yours sincerely

Paul Foody

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy