ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

ICMs Initial response to report of Possible Process options - reformatted !!

  • To: icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICMs Initial response to report of Possible Process options - reformatted !!
  • From: Stuart Lawley <stuart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:24:55 -0400

Below is the text of a a letter sent to Rod Beckstrom today. A pdf of the full
letter is attached.

ICM and its counsel have reviewed the "options" presented to the Board by ICANN
staff, and are dismayed to note that several of the options are in many
respects substantively and procedurally inconsistent with the IRP declaration.
In fact, only one option (expedited due diligence to confirm financial and
technical capabilities) appears to offer the current ICANN Board a path to
avoid new and ongoing violations of the organizations Articles of Incorporation
and Bylaws. This is, to put it plainly, unacceptable.

While we appreciate that this is the first time that the Board has had to
consider implementation of an IRP declaration, and in this regard may well
believe that all options must be studied, it would be inappropriate, illegal
and inconsistent with ICANNS core values and model of self governance for ICANN
to set up an evaluative process that is lacking in objectivity and that does
not affirmatively give effect to the underlying IRP declaration. In our view,
ICANN staff's options paper would appear to have not been conceived with the
objective of affirmatively giving full effect to the IRP declaration.

The ICANN community clearly called on the Board in Nairobi to honor the IRP
declaration and move promptly to right its discriminatory, unfair and bad faith
treatment of ICM. It would indeed be a disservice to urge the Board to follow a
path that breaks faith with the community and threatens to prolong this costly
and distracting legal dispute.

ICM and its counsel are studying the options paper and will be submitting an
analysis which we trust will be given due and careful consideration by the
Board. We remain committed to working constructively and in good faith to
resolve this matter, and hope that ICANN and its advisors are similarly
committed.

Stuart Lawley
Chairman

ICM Registry LLC