ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

Re: against porn web domains

  • To: icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: against porn web domains
  • From: Marguerite Bogosian <bogo123@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 19:26:46 -0700 (PDT)

I am totally against opening up web domains to be used for porn sites.
Here are my objections that also have been that of most pro-family groups:

        * dot-xxx will create an entirely new pornographic realm on the
Internet. Proliferating pornography will not protect children from pornography.
It will only increase the risk of exposure. Pornographers will not be required
to abandon their dot-com Web sites.
        * Creating a dot-xxx domain confers legitimacy to a largely criminal
industry. It’s like creating a free-market zone for drug dealers or prostitutes
to operate more effectively.
        * There are state and federal laws already in place prohibiting the
sale or distribution of hard-core pornography, but many Internet sites
currently violate those laws. Will they adhere to the regulations of a dot-xxx
domain, especially without the force of law behind them?
        * Moving pornographic content to a dot-xxx domain might hamper law
enforcement efforts. The problem will be seen as settled and further ignored.
A concerned person for family values,

Marguerite Bogosian