ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

Proposed top-level domain choice

  • To: icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Proposed top-level domain choice
  • From: mkienenb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 08:13:01 -0400 (EDT)

Maurice Kienenberger
69 Coleman Ave
Elmira, NY 14905-1149

April 2, 2010

ICANN Options

 ICANN Options:

Intentionally misspelled filter-avoiding word:  pro rnography

As you should already know, formally condoning pro rnography  is not going
to solve the problems it creates, nor will it remove such sites from other
domain spaces, as domain name choice is completely unregulated.

All it is going to do is to encourage more such sites by giving it a
formal recognition.   It is astounding to me that the small proposed pool
of first round of creating specific non-sponsored non-organizational
top-level domains includes pro rnography!

The argument that "they're out there anyway so we may as well segregate
and legitimize them" makes as much sense as the original plan to segregate
and legitimize spam.    And just as those initiatives failed to do
anything about spam, so the new top-level pro rnography will be
ineffective to clean up the current top-level domain spaces.  I still get
around 50 spams a day, a couple of which generally sneak through Google's
spam filters a week, and more than half of them bypass the spam
legitimization processes.

Regards,

Maurice Kienenberger
607-732-3512