ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

Please do not support the creation of a XXX domain

  • To: "Members of the Board" <icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Please do not support the creation of a XXX domain
  • From: "Tim Friedrich" <tee-pee-free@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 07:49:08 -0500

Members of the Board

I have been made aware of the fact that creating an xxx domain is being
considered for pornography.

Neither ICANN nor the company urging the establishment of this new domain are
arguing that the .XXX domain would clean up the .COM domain and require all
pornographers to move to .XXX.  The .COM domain is a cash cow for pornographers
and they are not leaving it.  ICANN has no enforcement powers to make them
leave and thus clean up .COM.  Pornographers would simply expand to .XXX and
maintain their current .COM sites, perhaps doubling the number of porn sites
and doubling their menace to society.

Please do not create a .XXX domain.

I agree with Malcolm Muggeridge who said, "How do I know pornography depraves
and corrupts? It depraves and corrupts me".  We continue to lie to ourselves
about the effects of such material by feigning outrage at the level of sexual
content in movies, songs, tv and society in general.  We foolishly pass sexual
harassment laws while increasing the intensity and amount of sex-saturated
venues.  Why do we allow those who claim to see no problem with such material
to freely foist it upon those of us who do?  If we can legislate against
something as "ethereal" as second-hand smoke, why can we not legislate against
what most of us consider first-hand smut?  Please, if you must make changes in
this area, do so in such a way as to make it easier to avoid it rather than
more difficult to even
ignore, let alone avoid.

Sincerely,

Tim Friedrich