ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

Against creation of a XXX domain

  • To: "Members of the Board" <icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Against creation of a XXX domain
  • From: "Daniel O'Connor" <danoconnor87@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 13:36:07 -0500

Members of the Board

I am writing to you to express my oposition to a .XXX domain and request you
not support creation of such a domain.

Pornography is one of the most destructive influences in our world today.
while I don't expect we will rid ourselves of it anytime soon, I have seen
nothing about the proposal to create a.xxx domain that reduces it, or impedes
its growth.  Neither ICANN nor the company urging the establishment of this new
domain are arguing that the .XXX domain would clean up the .COM domain and
require all pornographers to move to .XXX.  The .COM domain is a cash cow for
pornographers and they are not leaving it.  ICANN has no enforcement powers to
make them leave and thus clean up .COM.  Pornographers would simply expand to
.XXX and maintain their current .COM sites, perhaps doubling the number of porn
sites and doubling their menace to society.

I sincerely request you oppose the creation of a .xxx domain, for the sake of
our children and future generations who will deal with the fallout of the
actions we take today.

Sincerely,

Daniel O'Connor
1071 Cromwell Ln