ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

I urge you to oppose .XXX Domain

  • To: icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: I urge you to oppose .XXX Domain
  • From: "edandpeach@xxxxxxxxx" <edandpeach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:52:03 -0400

To Whom It May Concern at ICANN:

 I urgently request that you stop the proposal of the .XXX domain. This new
domain would only increase the amount of pornography available on the Web,
easing accessibility to hard core pornography to minors and adults alike.

If somehow all porn sites providing obscene material would actually leave
the .COM Domain for the .XXX Domain, they would STILL be violating U.S.
obscenity law which prohibits such material on the Internet regardless of
location. We don’t want the Department of Justice to say to illegal porn
companies, in effect, that it is okay to violate U.S. law as long as you do
it on .XXX. Men, women, and children are becoming addicted to pornography
and I believe the rates of addiction are skyrocketing – this is a virtually
untreated pandemic. Many who begin by viewing adult pornography deviate down
to harder and harder material as they continue a steady consumption of
material and many of these will deviate down to the point that they only
become excited by child pornography. This is a significant factor in the
growth of child pornography on the Internet. Countless marriages are
breaking up because of pornography use. Violence against women, which is
depicted in most porn films, is changing male attitudes toward girls and
women in a very negative way. A more appropriate goal should be to STOP the
distribution of this destructive material by prosecuting those responsible
for it, NOT protect pornography on the .XXX domain.

Pornography is a widespread, ever-growing crisis, polluting the minds of its
viewers and negatively changing attitudes towards women and children. Please
do NOT participate in the destruction of marriages, the abuse of children,
and the demise of our culture.

A more appropriate goal should be to STOP the distribution of this
destructive material by prosecuting those responsible for it, not to protect
pornography on the .XXX domain.

Again, please kill the proposal of the .XXX domain.

Sincerely,
Ed and Mary Kerkhoff
Highland Heights, KY