ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

ICANN Should Proceed With .XXX

  • To: "icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx" <icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN Should Proceed With .XXX
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:43:26 +0000

We would like to thank ICANN for affording us this opportunity to submit our
comments on .xxx

ICANN and ICM need to bury any "hatchets" and move on to contract negotiation
as soon as possible.

Failure to do so will cost ICANN heavily, not only in financial terms, but also
in relation to its position as an international organisation.

The independent review process did not happen overnight and was extremely
thorough. If ICANN ignores its findings, then it will be very hard for many of
us to respect ICANN as an organisation moving forward. However, if ICANN were
to acknowledge its mistakes and move forward with .xxx then it would show a
greater level of commitment to transparency and accountability. Transparency
and accountability were, two of the points we felt that ICANN had embraced with
the Affirmation of Commitments last year. (See Neylon to Beckstrom
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/neylon-to-beckstrom-30sep09-en.pdf )

As a registrar we look forward to being able to offer registrants the choice to
register domains in .xxx if they so choose. If ICANN and ICM launch .xxx users
will have the choice to register and use the domain extension if they wish. It
is that freedom of choice that has helped the internet to grow since its
inception and in the year that .com celebrates its 25th anniversary it is
fitting that ICANN should move forward not only with .xxx but with the rest of
the new gTLD project.

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon