ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

I support option #3

  • To: "icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx" <icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: I support option #3
  • From: Phil Harvey <PHARVEY@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:18:57 -0400

As founder of PHE, Inc./Adam & Eve, I am writing to voice my concern about
ICM's proposal for a .XXX sTLD.

Adam & Eve is the nation's largest marketer of adult products with millions of
satisfied customers in the United States and all over the world. Founded in
1970, Adam & Eve is also one of the oldest names in the rapidly evolving adult
industry. As the flagship company of PHE, Inc., Adam & Eve caters to a general
audience. PHE also owns several smaller companies that focus on meeting
customers' special needs.

Regarding ICM's proposal for a .XXX sTLD: It is our understanding that one of
the requirements for a sponsored top level domain is "broad-based support from
the sponsorship community."

As the nation's largest marketer of adult products, we at PHE Inc./Adam & Eve
oppose the creation of a .XXX sTLD. I also believe that the ICM's claims of
support based on preregistrations are without merit due to the likely defensive
nature of the registrations and ICM's coupling of the preregistration process
with a statement of support as the only option.

To be clear, I do not support the creation of a .XXX sTLD and I do not believe
it has the adult industry's support.

Moreover, I am extremely concerned with ICM's proposed regulatory board, the
International Foundation for Online Responsibility (IFFOR). In the best of
circumstances regulation and policy development for the adult entertainment
industry is difficult, due to the great potential for censorship.

In IFFOR's case, the selection process and IFFOR's ultimate authority are
disturbingly vague. That vagueness coupled with their lack of experience in,
and knowledge of, the adult entertainment industry is a recipe for disaster.
ICANN does not involve itself in the regulation of industries. Giving
regulatory authority to an outside entity over an adult industry's online
presence would be a grave mistake.

For the reasons mentioned above, and because I believe ICANN was well within
its rights to deny ICM's application at the 2007 Board meeting in Lisbon, I
encourage ICANN to choose Process Option No. 3. This option would deny ICM's
petition to move forward with the .XXX sTLD.

Sincerely,
Phil Harvey
President and Founder
Adam and Eve/PHE