ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

Concerns regarding the plan for establishing a .xxx TLD

  • To: icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Concerns regarding the plan for establishing a .xxx TLD
  • From: Maurice Snellen <maurice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 15:46:39 +0200

LS:

I would like to express my concerns about the plans that currently exist
for establishing .xxx as the new TLD for pornographic content on the
web.

It is my understanding that part of the reason for this is that it would
make it easier to block these sites should companies want to do this
because they are easily recognizable by their tld.

However, this is hardly the case for as long as there are no laws and/or
rules in any country that say that if you want to publish pornographic
content, you must use a .xxx domain, these companies will continue to
use other domain names as well if only to avoid being blocked.

Furthermore, because .xxx is a generic tld and not a country-specific
one, this will effectively force all companies who do not want their
company or product names associated with pornography to purchase domain
names for these names in yet another top level domain without ever
seeing any revenue for it. It just raises their costs.

The only parties who have an interest here are those who will be selling
the names in the proposed .xxx domain as they will see revenue not just
from porn organizations, but maybe even more from other organizations
who want nothing more than to protect their good name.

Organizations like Focus on the Family, a Christian organization that
works to fight illegal pornography, can hardly allow some pornographer
that wants to ridicule them to purchase a domain name like
citizenlink.xxx or family.xxx and then fill those with the filth they
usually put on their sites.

It would cost organizations that want nothing to do with this a fortune
to protect their interests.

As far as I'm concerned, starting a tripple-x top level domain is a very
bad idea. And I urge you to reconsider.

--
Greetings,
Maurice Snellen