ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idn-3char-15feb10]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

comment on IDN 3 Character from Zodiac Holdings

  • To: idn-3char-15feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: comment on IDN 3 Character from Zodiac Holdings
  • From: Bolei Z <zbolei@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 09:58:55 +0800

Dear ICANN,

On behalf of Zodiac Holdings, I like to thank GNSO new gTLD policy
development committee, the GNSO Reserved Names Working Group and the
independent IDN Implementation Team for their time and efforts taken
on the issue of 3 character requirement.

I like to highlight and point out that while the requirement has been
relaxed to allow 2 characters, I believe that to bring forward ICANN's
vision
of a global internet for everyone, it is essential that 1 character be
also allowed, especially in the case of the Chinese script (which
boasts 380m Internet users in China alone).

In light of Recommendation 3 of the Final Report  by the IDN
Implementation team:
3.1 The team does not recommend the banning of one-character gTLDs.
3.2 The team recommends that further ramifications of this issue be
addressed by
policy bodies such as the ccNSO and GNSO

and 4.1.2 of the Final Report which states:

4.1.2 One-character rules in IDN TLD labels
Rule 1: One-character IDN TLD labels should be restricted pending
further analysis.
1a. Analysis is required of the potential impact of relaxing the restriction
on
the allocation of one-character IDN TLD labels.
1b. Until such analysis is conducted, the impact understood, and appropriate
reviews completed, one-character IDN TLD labels should be restricted.

I like to:

1) seek for the commencement (if it has not already happened) for an
analysis of the potential impact of relaxing the restriction of the
allocation of one-character IDN TLD labels
2) ask for the adoption of the Recommendation by the IDN
Implementation Team and urge ccNSO and GNSO to conduct a study on the
possible ramifications to this issue

I truly believe that only with the introduction of 1 character IDN,
would the Internet population in China be able to fully experience
what the Internet can offer.

Yours sincerely,

Bolei Zhan
Zodiac Holdings

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>