ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idn-cctld-fast-track]

Length of Public Comment Period

  • To: <idn-cctld-fast-track@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Length of Public Comment Period
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:35:24 -0400

Could someone on ICANN staff please explain the abbreviated public comment
period?  Consistent with the many recent representations by ICANN Staff and
Board about increased openness and transparency, ICANN has generally been
following a 21 to 30 day public comment period on important policy issues.
The proposed 10 day public comment just prior to many people leaving for the
upcoming ICANN Paris meeting seems to be inconsistent with ICANN's most
recent proclamations.

While this final draft document should be applauded for recognizing the need
to provide the ICANN Board with expert advice in making its decision. There
are a number of significant legal and policy issues that need to be careful
examined in connection with the newly proposed external and neutral Language
Expert Advisory Panel (LEAP). While I have been following the work of the
IDNC closely and will endeavor to submit my comments within the abbreviated
public comment window, I cannot help but fear that the broader non-English
speaking Internet users to whom this issue is very important will not have
the proper time to review and comment.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage