ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idn-cctld-fast-track]

some concerns about the current fast track on IDNs

  • To: idn-cctld-fast-track@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: some concerns about the current fast track on IDNs
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 06:37:12 -0700 (PDT)

The following comment was also posted as part of the forum on IIC progress...

Sirs,
 During the earlier comment period I expressed my concern with ICANN’s claim
that it had sufficiently dealt with two issues I think are crucial for the
future of the organization – the issue of IDN rollout and the issue of non-OECD
representation.  And as I said at that time, while I believe some progress has
been made, I remain convinced that on both counts more progress should be made
before ICANN ends its current oversight relationships with the Department of
Commerce.
I attended the recent Paris meeting (and speaking now specifically from a small
business point of view, as a small business owner focused on international
business), I was especially interested in the issue of IDNs.  Some of what I
saw in Paris , however, led me to believe that ICANN may have –
unintentionally, I am sure – created a situation which could create real
difficulty in the next phase of the development of the Internet.

While in Paris I attended the ccTLD meetings, and learned in detail about plans
for the fast-track rollout of IDN ccTLDs.  A welcome move.  However, while I
would not recommend that we slow down the IDN ccTLD process at all, I am very
concerned that the much more popularly-used IDN gTLDs – the Chinese or Arabic
or Cyrillic versions of .org, .com, .edu and .net, for example – were not
included in the fast track.

By limiting the “fast track” to the cc space, I fear we could very well find
ourselves in a situation in which, for a number of years, IDN ccTLDs will in
essence be the only way to reach these new markets.  Simply put, I feel this
would be bad for both users and businesses on the web for a number of reasons.

First, I am thinking about the cost implications for small businesses if this
occurs.  Many of my colleagues and partners have businesses on the web they
would like to expand into the IDN space.  As small businesses, they are
honestly alarmed at the time and financial implications of having, for example,
to register in many IDN ccTLDs that use Cyrillic characters, or the more than
10 cc’s that use Arabic script -- each with its own protocols and procedures –
in order to defend their brands... instead of having the ability to compete for
their brands in the IDN equivalent of .net, or .biz or .com (which many of them
would rather do).

Second, I am concerned about the additional power this will give Governments in
the near term – both in the business arena and in the academic/scientific
space, where information sharing is essential but where there is real question
about the openness of Governments over issues of human rights and the like.
ICANN is making the argument for “independence” in part based on its ability to
represent the core founding principles, one of which is maintaining the close
connection to the private sector in operations.  The IDN rollout plan seems to
call that relationship into question somewhat by favoring IDN ccTLDs.

Finally, in Paris I heard nothing that would suggest (let alone guarantee) that
the most popular, most used and most business-critical IDN gTLDs would be
considered first -- if they were considered as part of the "slow track" for IDN
gTLDs.  This simply makes no sense to ICANN as a public servant or as a
promoter of growth on the web.  People know and want to use certain
destinations on the web -- I would like the ability to bid for my IDN gTLD, for
example -- and ICANN should factor in these needs if our goal is really to
support the Internet community. Based on these concerns, I must stick with my
earlier position.  I applaud some significant effort that ICANN has made on its
way to more autonomy, but I don't think it makes sense to end the existing
relationship with DOC early given the many unanswered questions that remain
with the IDN process.

Thank you.

Andrew Mack

Andrew A. Mack