ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idngtld-petition]

Qualified support for IDN gTLD Constituency

  • To: "idngtld-petition@xxxxxxxxx" <idngtld-petition@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Qualified support for IDN gTLD Constituency
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 10:03:41 -0400

I am writing to express support for the basic idea behind the proposed IDN gTLD
constituency.

IDN advocates, and especially prospective IDN registries, have been one of the
chief victims of ICANN's inadequate representational structure. The formation
of this constituency is a welcome sign that this is ending.

The obstacles to representation were deeply engrained in ICANN's structure. In
both the GNSO and its predecessor the DNSO, there was simply no place for
organizations that intended to become registries but were not yet in the root
as a contracted party with ICANN. And yet, the policies made by the GNSO and
DNSO directly affect the technical and economic conditions for entry into the
market for domain name registrations. Thus, prospective IDN registries and
registrars (as well as other prospective registries) were disenfranchised by
the GNSO. The idea that only incumbent registries could make the rules for new
entry into the registry market does not seem fair.

Based on my reading of Sections 3.2 and 11.2.4 of this petition, it appears as
if this constituency is petitioning for recognition within the Commercial
Stakeholders Group (CSG). I also conclude this because the CSG will be based on
a constituency structure, whereas the Noncommercial, Registry and Registrar SGs
will not be.

I believe that the CSG is the appropriate location for this constituency. As
prospective registries, software/service providers and government agencies
attempting to develop the business of IDN registration, they are analogous to
the position of ISPs/ connectivity providers. That is, they are service
providers, some of whom are commercial, while some are nonprofit or state
owned, but they belong more on the commercial side of the divide than on the
noncommercial/civil society side. As prospective service providers they will
have stakes in policies regarding trademark and brand protection similar to
those of many CSG members.

There could, however, be room for members in the Noncommercial SG for academics
and nonprofit researchers involved in IDNs from a non-operational perspective;
i.e., for cultural, educational or research reasons. The need to break out this
segment of the group should not, however, impede acceptance of prospective
domain name services and registry suppliers by the CSG.

Let me take a few moments to respond to some of the negative comments made by
Philip Sheppard:

1. The "Structural challenge"
There is no structural challenge, except insofar as noncommercial users of IDNs
are involved. As suggested above, those stakeholders would be welcome in the
NCSG. But for the most part, this application comes from prospective suppliers,
and thus belongs in the CSG.

2. The "public private challenge"
It is a bit disingenuous for Mr. Sheppard to suggest that the presence of a few
government agencies somehow disrupts the structure. As he knows, many ccTLDs
are run by governments but that does not stop them from being represented in
the ccNSO. Likewise, many telecom connectivity providers and ISPs are
state-owned, and not only in developing countries. As of June 2008, the German
government still holds a 15% stake in Deutsche Telekom directly, and another
17% through a government bank. In countries like China, nearly all major
enterprises are state-owned. To exclude enterprises from CSG because of state
ownership might exclude entire countries from representation.

3. The "policy challenge"
Sheppard argues that a constituency focused on "one policy" aspect of DNS, such
as IDNs, is somehow illegitimate. I must confess this one made me laugh. For
ten years now, we have had a trademark constituency despite the fact that
trademark protection is only one aspect of DNS policy - and moreover, the
category "trademark owner" is a subset of the category "business" and
"ISP/connectivity provider." Philip cannot have it both ways. If this IDN
proposal is illegitimate, so is the existing trademark constituency. If,
however, trademark owners can look out for their special interests across a
wide range of DNS issues, so can IDN advocates. IDN will affect Whois issues,
security issues, trademark issues, as well as new gTLD and registrar policies.