ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idngtld-petition]

In Favor of New IDN gTLD Constituency

  • To: idngtld-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: In Favor of New IDN gTLD Constituency
  • From: Jessica <dandan7407@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 22:09:25 +0800 (CST)

Dear all,
You might be surprised by such an unfamiliar name submitting personal point of
view regarding IDN gTLD constituency issue. Since China is promoting its IDN
ccTLD “.中国” recently, I, together with some of my schoolfellows, become
interested in IDN issue recommended by ICANN.
Outsider as I am, in view of GNSO reshuffle, I am glad to see some
newly-applied constituency including IDN gTLD which might inject fresh blood
into the conventional model, most importantly, the prospective IDN gTLD
constituency will shed some light on disputes concerning IDN issues and act as
a lighthouse for those countries eagerly expecting IDN gTLD for the sake of
cultural diversity, and whatever.
Distinctive constituencies in GNSO remind me of various leagues in my college.
Anyone is free to take part in specific group he is interested in or willing to
devote to. It is impossible for one group to bar out certain student just
because he has already been a member of another one. Actually, the considered
“outsider” might bring in innovation or instructive suggestion for the better
forming of this group, and vice versa. The situation might be different from
which you are talking about, but personally, the principle remains the same.
GNSO is now willing to listen to voice from its SGs for better distinguishing
its members to better facilitate its performance in ICANN. This is really a
great chance to form a special IDN gTLD to deal with IDN issues. We do not have
to worry about mixed membership so long as they share the same “interest” (pun)
and work together for the same goal. Issues they talk are not only defined to
IDN but might cover topics not mentioned in other constituency. On the other
hand, members from other constituency will give inspiration to or draw
inspiration from this new constituency.
Whatever, this new constituency is supposed to open to groups interested and
experienced in IDN issue and can exist as an indispensable complement to
present paralyzed GNSO.
As college student from China, I will always keep an eye this issue and do
stand by the petition to form IDN gTLD constituency.

Sincerely,
Danlei Jin (Jessica)
Individual
Capital Normal University