ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idngtld-petition]

Comments of Intellectual Property Constituency

  • To: <idngtld-petition@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments of Intellectual Property Constituency
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 13:16:05 -0700

The Intellectual Property Constituency welcomes this chance to comment
on the constituency petition and charter for the proposed IDN gTLD
constituency.  IPC supports the views expressed by the Business and ISP
constituencies, see
http://forum.icann.org/lists/idngtld-petition/msg00019.html, but we wish
to spell out our concerns in more detail.
IPC believes that the issues that this constituency is being formed to
address are important ones to which ICANN should devote more attention.
However, we have questions whether the formation of a new constituency
within the GNSO is the best means to advance the stated goals of the
petitioners and to provide enhanced focus to these issues within ICANN.
In great part, this is because the role of a GNSO constituency, which is
quite clearly delineated and easily understood under the current
structure, has become almost completely incoherent under the "GNSO
Improvements" adopted by the ICANN board.  Finally, recognizing that the
petitioners are better situated than we are to decide whether their
goals are best served by forming a new constituency, we do not oppose
its recognition, but strongly oppose locating this constituency within
the Commercial  Stakeholder Group. We also note some other problematic
aspects to the draft charter.

For details, please see the attached submission.

Steve Metalitz, IPC president <<2243870.pdf>>