ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idngtld-petition]

Closing Remarks and Comments from the Petitioner

  • To: idngtld-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Closing Remarks and Comments from the Petitioner
  • From: "S. Subbiah" <subbiah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 16:37:27 -0700

*Closing Remarks and Comments from the Petitioner *

I write this as the principal applicant for this petition. I am writing this on the final day as a concluding statement to the ICANN Board and staff in view of all the public comments received thus far.

First, I (for myself and on behalf of all the supporting group) am very grateful to all who have contributed their time and effort in making thoughtful comments to this Public Comments Forum.

Next I note there have been many dozens of comments from companies, institutions and individuals that appear to be from many diverse parts of the worlds and from dozens of language/script communities. Most of them seem to be uniformly supportive and positive, with the most popular refrain being "its high time we had a group focused on IDN in the gTLD side of ICANN".

I only see 3 separate postings that while supporting the general need for a group focused on IDN that also included IDN gTLDs somewhere within ICANN, nevertheless reject the current IDNgTLD petition on technical grounds.

Two of these were submitted by Philip Sheppard who leads the existing Business Constituency- one in his name and the other on behalf of both the Business and ISP constituencies jointly. Both of these deal with the same exact 3 criticisms and since no other names are mentioned, it is a reasonable surmise that they were both penned by Philip Sheppard. A third rejection, from Marilyn Cade, in passing raises one of the same 3 points, in her "individual capacity". It is well-known in ICANN history that Marilyn Cade and Philip Sheppard have worked closely together for many years co-leading the Business constituency and for many multiple terms representing their constituency alternatively on the GNSO Council. Given these connections one cannot rule out that at some level the 3 criticisms are coming from a shared source the- Philip Sheppard-Business Constituency and therefore I take that as a working assumption.

The 3 points can be all flatly denied on the basis of long-time precedent alone. All 3 issues revolve around the presumed logical inconsistency of fitting the IDNgTLD constituency into the present 2-house, 4-group GNSO structure. While there is on the surface some seeming credibility to all 3 criticisms, further examination clearly demonstrates that in reality most existing constituencies, including the Business and the ISP Constituencies, already do not themselves meet the same 3 tests of logical constituency that Philip Sheppard raises. In fact they violate them even more than the proposed IDNgTLD constituency. So there is no basis to deny our application on these 3 grounds, unless you deny most of the other existing constituencies within GNSO and even at other ICANN layers, including the Business Constituency and Business Constituency themselves. Clear and many long-standing examples of these have already been pointed out by several voices ranging from Milton Mueller of NCUC and voices from within the IDN community on these Public Comment forum pages. I shall not dwell further on these.

On the other hand to be constructive and knowing that no one overarching structure in GNSO can capture global divisions in clean and neat ways, we can be flexible to some degree. While we have left application open to all except direct political parties within countries, our current group does not as of now include contracted registries nor direct government entities. It does include govt-related non-profits, regular non-profits, individuals and commercial companies (some happen to be ICANN accredited registrars who would possibly be willing to decide and join only one constituency within ICANN if the IDNgTLD is approved). In any case, our charter strictly limits any member from holding high-office within the Constituency or in its Council representation if they already serve in similar capacities in another constituency or group anywhere within ICANN). And we also limit regular membership to no more than 3 groups/constituencies altogether within GNSO/ICANN. (One could conceivably consider reducing this to two). An example of a flexible definition would be the following: A non-profit is indistinguishable in practice from a profit company that chooses or ensures that its profit is minimal or zero. A also, a non-profit can register as a for profit in almost any country and do little actual business.

Having given my firm opinion (in conjunction with comments made by others on these matters ) on why these 3 criticisms cannot be the basis of rejection, I would like to move on to some troubling aspects of potential motives and agendas behind these criticisms. These would not be troubling if it were not for a long-standing repeated history within ICANN in the past 3 years - most of it documented in ICANN archives. Before I start, let me make clear I myself have an agenda - (1) after 10 years of waiting to see a technology I co-invented actually get deployed globally rather than only regionally to date and (2) having helped raised the first $50M that made IDN (a term I coined) a household word in many parts of the world, we would like the original investors including the National University of Singapore see a return of even the principal, let alone interest while many others, including ICANN have already collectively profited hundreds of millions already and billions in the future. Further, I also concede as the principal petitioner, I am de facto an interested party to the outcome of the Board decision and thus my comments should be viewed with that in mind.

Now the relevant ICANN history.

- About 3 years ago just as ICANN announced a serious intention of launching a process to culminate in the deployment of IDN gTLDs finally. A GNSO IDN Working Group was started and was recruiting members.

- My company/Myself and many others from the IDN community volunteered but owing to restrictions on the basis of prior membership of existing GNSO constituencies the then-GNSO chair Bruce Tonkin (now ICANN Board member) determined that we had to join an existing constituency quickly first.

- Seeing that most were commercial entities, Bruce Tonkin then directed many of us to naturally join the Business Constituency. Many of us filled out the simple on line paperwork.

- After some silence as the working group began its work, there began a series of phone calls emanating from Belgium to many of the applicants questioning their "interests in IDN" and if it were the only reason to seek membership ( I wish I was making this up !). Eventually after much lengthy stonewalling, kinds of "rules" (they seemed to be ad hoc and made up along the way) were used to deny legitimate membership for companies involved in Internet and domains. In fact by their argument all of the 100 000 or more domain name resellers worldwide (the next thing to the proverbial end-user much vaunted by ICANN in most countries) and domain name software research and technology companies like mine were not eligible to join the one constituency that could even remotely include such resellers - try registries, or non-profits, or ISPs, or trademark ? It became clear that Philip Sheppard and Marilyn were at the time making the decisions with regard to our requests.

- I then learnt of others who having encountered the same problem, had then gone to the ICANN ombudsman through the ministries of their parent countries.

- At the same time I complained to some nom-com GNSO councilors (whose job is to represent those who have no voice). Others did as well.

- As the IDN WG was in full swing making non-reversible decisions by volunteers either largely from Anglo-Latin countries or those working for Anglo-Latin companies and representing their interests (most of them non-experts in IDN to boot), Bruce tried to work on trying to get ICANN to allow us as in as novel "observers". By the time this became possible, most of the IDN policy making was over and the many of us who joined - almost all people from IDN-needy countries and IDN experts - were unable to reverse many policies in which in our collective opinion were bad and that we knew would come back to haunt us later. On those we could still influence the majority opinion was recorded/archived but the minority position accepted since "observers" had no voting rights. Of all the "bad" policies for IDN deployment, the most egregious one from my point of view that won out - that of lumping new the ASCII gTLD process with the new IDN gTLD process on the theory that there were in the end just bits of ultimate ASCII strings on the wire - has already resulted in material consequence for the IDN community. The mostly ASCII new gTLD centered "overarching" trademark issues has crippled the already 10-year delayed IDN process by a further year, since ASCII and IDN were unwisely fused at the hip.

- As Bruce worked to change the observer laws - many of us came to know more about the Business Constituency. That it had a long history of a tight knit group at the top led by Philip Sheppard and Marilyn Cade for many many years. None of us could tell if there were more than a handful of members at all in the constituency. Then it became clear that the then recently released issued London School of Economics Report (LSE) on GNSO reform commissioned by the ICANN Board had singled out the Business Constituency on its operation and of its support for indefinite term limits for its GNSO representatives to the GNSO Council.

- At this point a newish member of the Business Constituency, who then went on to be on the GNSO council as one of the Business Constituency representatives, took over from Philip Sheppard the discussions with those who had been denied, possibly as a result of the Ombudsman led publicity. While the new rep was much more sympathetic , but by then the WG group was about over and the urgency was over. Nevertheless the Business Constituency never did follow-up or ask us to re-apply and noone from the denied group ever allowed to join.

- At this juncture the idea of starting an IDN constituency within GNSO was brought to my and some other IDN community members' attention by a number of existing GNSO councilors. As we explored that possibility, we were advised that the process had never been attempted before at ICANN and would take at least a year or more and it would make much more sense to wait until the expected GNSO reform.

- So I and others have waited the 2+ years and now are seeking to take advantage of that suggestion/offer. Hence our petition, which for unrelated reasons - dealing with new the comments to the new gTLD guidebook that took in our opinion "bad" IDN policy and implementing it even more "badly" with respect to the poorer IDN parts of the world - ended up being a fairly rushed one.

- The logic for petitioning is as we did - under Commercial group is as follows. Given the 10-year no show of ICANN on IDN is precisely because there is no effective voice within GNSO for IDN - i.e. a constituency. For example we spent years discussing trademarks and whois (secondary issues for IDN populations) while IDNs languished for lack of ICANN time and attention, precisely because the GNSO constituencies already existed to raise the issue. Thus we need a focused voice and breaking that voice across different constituencies (some in commercial side of house and some on non-commercial side ) is basically a return to the status quo., especially since the IDN community is already less functional in English and the assumed ways of Anglo-Western style decision making (that's why they want IDN remember, they are not as good at English !). Marilyn Cade's idea of making IDN issue a larger one and pan-ICANN is a good one (and has been suggested by other Councilors 2 years ago) but it would be a much larger re-think and re-structuring of ICANN that we think that ICANN is not yet mature enough to make, let alone get around to. In any case pushing it up as a higher layer pan-ICANN issue, is a sure way of ensuring that another ten years passes before any such possibly more ideal focused voice emerges for IDN gTLDs.

- Hence after thinking about it and seeking advice from staff and elsewhere we saw commercial group as best fit and with some flexibility/creativity could be tailored to fit.

- Then just as we met the deadline we learnt the following. All parts of the new double-house GNSO structure have to turn in charters at both the group and the constituency levels and all but the commercial group had turned in a final or full fledged drafts of the charter. We learnt that the commercial group draft (put together we are told under the leadership of primarily the Business constituency (Philip Sheppard) with the ISP constituency assisting on behalf of the Business, Trademark and ISP ones) was an interim/transition one with only a very few pages. In substance it basically limited itself for now to 2 or 3 main criteria for limiting further constituency applicants. The first criteria is the long-standing one of ICANN board's final approval veto of any new constituency. The other we learnt was the requirement that all existing Constituencies (presumably the said 3) have to UNANIMOUSLY approve of any new constituency that wishes to join, like the IDNgTLD constituency.

- Basically unless the old constituencies ALL approve, the old constituencies won't allow any new ones. So where in this process is the claim for the much ballyhooed current exercise of GNSO reform ? After 5 years of debate, and LSE report based vilification, we now belatedly embark on reform at great expense only to find that any single of the old people by fiat can block any new one coming in. Under this scheme, logic dictates that CHANGE/reform cannot occur because the new reform rules do not in practice allow change. This makes catch-22 seem junior league.

- And 2 of the 3 existing constituencies, under the penmanship of Philip Sheppard, the very same Business constituency, together with the ISP constituency, has for whatever reason, justifiable or not, already rejected this application through these Public Comments.

This brings us to  the present.

Having now to the best of my knowledge related the history relating to the IDN focused folks to get their voices heard the history points to a disturbing plausible and admittedly extreme conclusion. This follows.

Despite all claims to the contrary and stated support for IDN matters, the 2 of the existing GNSO commercial constituencies, in particular the Business Constituency, and in particular Philip Sheppard, starting from some 3 years ago when IDN gTLDs were first seriously invoked by ICANN CEO until the current public comments have collectively demonstrated a singular pattern of behavior that seems to be indistinguishable from some specific singular underlying agenda that I cannot fathom, to deny those, like myself, who wish to find a focused voice for IDNs within ICANN's GNSO.

Extreme view ? Likely so. Possible view ? Yes. Assuming the background above is true, there is an undeniable possibility, slight or not, of a serious-conflict-of interest of the objecting group, in the guise of some other underlying singular agenda against the formation of the IDNgTLD.

Therefore I respectfully conclude, as the petitioner by asking ICANN staff and ICANN board that will review this petition and make a decision, that in as much as I myself as petitioner am an interested party with an agenda and so my thoughts and comments be accordingly discounted, that similarly the criticisms and objection to the petition brought by the parties led by Philip Sheppard be taken as from an interested party with a possible biased agenda against the IDN community. Please set both our biased views aside and make a decision based on neutral and more diverse global input.

Finally we understand that flexibility and creativity will be needed to fit a not so-neat-and-tidy real world into some artificial construct that for genuine practical reasons an idealized world of neat-and-tidy non-overlapped boxes. This IDNgTLD constituency is such a case. The the petitioner and the supporting initial members are prepared in return to match with some flexibility. Denial for technical reasons is likely to be received with yet another global, widespread disappointment in ICANN's record and the technical reasoning, and any bona fide reason for such, to be completely lost in the context of a decade of continuing "technical reasons" for why the ASCII-centric ICANN world continues to shortchange the IDN world.

S. Subbiah
Principal Petitioner for proposed IDNgTLD Constituency Formation
i-DNS.net Inc.