ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idngtld-petition]

Additional Concluding Remarks from the Petitioner: Response to IP constituency

  • To: idngtld-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Additional Concluding Remarks from the Petitioner: Response to IP constituency
  • From: "S. Subbiah" <subbiah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 18:51:01 -0700

In light of the recent submission by the IP constituency (IPC) submitted by S. Metalitz, as principal petitioner I add a quick response to my earlier concluding remarks.

First we appreciate the appreciation shown by the IP constituency for the proposed IDNgTLD constituency's "frustrating" plight trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Nevertheless I regret that their decision is a negative one. The reasoning they give while more detailed, is in essence the same as the ISP and Business constituencies, which I have already addressed as being logically untenable in light of long-known and ongoing precedents for much overlap and potential "double dipping" between exisiting constituencies. In view of the fact that we already agree with the IPC thesis that creativity will be needed, we add the that while we left membership open in general, we do not have existing contracted registries in our present founding membership and we are internally open to restrict future membership of contracted registries and registrars. That is, if the IDNgTLD petition is approved, contracted parties could be disallowed or forced to choose only one home. Also please note that we had already allowed for only limited and transparent cross-memberships (in contrast to today's effective potential for cross-membership through opaque convoluted complex relationships between large multi-national corporations for example). While we limited it to 3 cross-memberships the potential exists to reduce it to 2.

So as the IPC points out the, the more Black/White divide between contracted and non-contracted parties, can be potentially creatively overcome in the main.

On the issue of direct government representation, again our current founding group does not include direct government representation but rather government-related agencies, for example the one from China (which has independently made its views on this matter clear through an earlier post on this Public Comment). Again compromise is potentially possible, by creatively limiting direct government involvement - no different in principle from the current situation of a nationally-owned ISP/telco happily joining the existing ISP Constituency.

The separation of commercial members from non-profits and individuals - while all being on the same side of the GNSO house will be harder to bridge, as that would dilute the focus and de facto return us to the status quo and the history and consequences of the past 10 years as described in our earlier email.

While the IPC is right in pointing out that the existing flat GNSO constituency structure is more suitable for the current IDNgTLD proposal to fit in, closer examination suggets it does not solve all the problems of fitting in neatly either. But then again, as pointed out earlier, the status quo structure already has fairly unlimited rooom for "double dipping" and "overlap" of members between constituencies.

The IPC also raises 2 other points.

The first is the assumption that the IDNgTLD constituency will rely soley on monies raised from ICANN etc. This is not true and is a misperception. The charter already discusses membership levies and fully intends to raise money from any and all parties. If the GNSO or ICANN is ever in a position to partly fund the activities, the charter allows for the reciept of those funds, that's all. In addition, ICANN by merely even now providing rooms at ICANN meeting-hotels for a constituency to meet, is by definition funding that constituency and the charter needs to allow for acceptance of such "funds" (while not directly in cash).

Second, an explanation regarding members holding elected office in two different constiutuencies. As noted by IPC the Chair and the GNSO representatives to Council are barred from soing so by the charter already. A further limitation of all office-holders was not prescribed in the charter largely in light of of the elected roles of those handling lesser more mundane duties - like web-master for communication etc. If this is a problem, clearly there is scope for limiting all elected officers to not occupy any elected positions elsewhere.

Finally, it is clear from the IPCs lengthy and detailed discourse that every single existing charter group/constituency within the old GNSO structure (now-positioned to be within different houses) is in essence blocking any other new party from entering its fold. Amusing as that is, the logical conclusion is that the current exercise of a GNSO restructuring is simply a GNSO re-shuffling. Not one of change where change agents bring new peoples and new ideas inside.

Little wonder then that as ICANN sleeps, debates and then bickers internally on the IDN wheel for a decade, the forces that can control their own destinies within sovereign borders continue to deploy and implement "testbeds", commercial and governmental deployments that now alraedy span half or more of the truly IDN gTLD needy peoples of the world. Sad but true.

And given the current emerging resistance - structural and otherwise - for a voice within ICANN for IDNgTLDs inertia suggests more entrenchment of existing views on all sides unless the Board acts to enforce the change it desires and overide existing internal views.

S. Subbiah
Chief Pettitoner for the Formation of the IDNgTLD Constituency
i-DNS.net INc.