ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[iic-consultation]

About Institutional Confidence and Involvement of Small and Medium Businesses in ICANN

  • To: "iic-consultation@xxxxxxxxx" <iic-consultation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: About Institutional Confidence and Involvement of Small and Medium Businesses in ICANN
  • From: "Fernando G. Guerrero" <FGuerrero@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:50:21 +0200

To the ICANN Board,

Thank you for the opportunity to participate in the Paris ICANN meeting. As the
owner of a small company that depends on the Internet for every aspect of its
operation, I take great interest in the key issues before ICANN, and look
forward to increasing my participation in the process.

I particularly appreciate the decision to hold a series of special sessions
aimed at addressing the needs and concerns of business participants like myself
who are new to the ICANN process. Although I am not an ICANN insider, these
issues are no less important to me and other executives like me. Indeed, small
businesses like mine are often the first to feel the impact of Internet policy
changes, and as such have a vested interest in ensuring that those policies
respect the needs and concerns of private enterprises. I hope this will be the
first of many efforts by ICANN to include a broader cross-section of the
business community.

With that in mind, I would like to offer a couple of recommendations to make
this experience more useful to members of the business community who, like
myself, are relative newcomers to the ICANN process.

First, while I appreciate the opportunity to learn about ongoing ICANN
consultations, I believe it is even more important that ICANN hear from myself
and other small business executives about our concerns regarding the Internet's
addressing system. To that end, I would recommend that future sessions include
less exposition by ICANN and encourage greater dialogue with business
participants regarding their needs and concerns. I am sure that the business
and Internet community at large would greatly benefit from the input of
business executives in this process, instead of just being told about what is
going to happen.

It is also extremely important that ICANN tell us exactly how we can
participate in the process. It may not be the best use of our limited time for
ICANN to tell business participants about decisions it has already made, or
processes it has already set in motion. Rather, it would be extremely
worthwhile for ICANN to inform us of ongoing decision-making processes, and
provide a means to offer our direct input. If the goal of these sessions is to
increase business participation -- as I believe it should be -- we must be
provided with the tools to make our participation meaningful.

I would also recommend making the agendas of future business sessions with as
much lead time as possible prior to the event. Had this session been anywhere
other than a major European capital, I would not have been able to come on such
short notice. Also, to encourage more meaningful participation from business I
would strongly recommend providing considerably more detailed agendas for
sessions, including possible discussion points and supporting documents.

I believe this increased focus on business participation is the right path for
ICANN. Business drives innovation, growth and usage of the global Internet.
Businesses like mine are in touch with the needs of users and should play a
role in guiding policy development for the Internet's addressing system. I urge
ICANN to build on the good idea represented by the Paris business sessions to
create a forum that truly encourages meaningful business participation in the
process.

Sincerely,

Fernando G. Guerrero
Managing Partner, Chief Executive Officer
[cid:image001.png@01C8F33D.7EEC5030]
www.solidq.com<http://www.solidq.com>
fguerrero@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:fguerrero@xxxxxxxxxx>

"Solid Quality Mentors is the trusted global provider of solutions, services,
and advanced education for the entire Microsoft Data Platform.

PNG image