ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[info-scsld-amendment]

Comments from Chuck Warren re single letter proposal from Afilias

  • To: info-scsld-amendment@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments from Chuck Warren re single letter proposal from Afilias
  • From: Marilyn Cade <mscade@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:28:00 -0400

To:             ICANN

Date:   March 20, 2010

Re: .info - 1 and 2 character proposal: Allocation of .info single letter names at the second level

I am pleased to see Afilias propose the allocation of single character second level domain names in .info, through the registry services evaluation process. My comments will focus on this aspect of the full proposal that Afilias has made.

ICANN has previously approved similar requests from 7 registries, including .name; .cat; .jobs; .coop; .mobi; .biz; .pro.

My comments support the allocation of single letters. I am pleased to see that that the approach proposed by the registry appears, to the best of my knowledge, to follow the recommendations of ICANN's GNSO Reserved Names Working Group.Overstock has indicated its interest in registering and using the single letter - O - in its online identify and operations, just as it does in itsmarketing and business advertising of its core business. .info’s proposal will enable Overstock to participate in the proposed RFP process to propose a specific plan for use and promotion of “o.info”.

Overstock has stated its support the allocation of single letters by the various registries, with the understanding that by applying for the allocation of and using a single letter in any gTLD registry, this cannot preclude a party from seeking to use a single letter associated with their trade/brand name in a different gTLD or ccTLD. In today's environment, companies often develop unique website or web pages for different parts of their business, by registering and using consistent identities/ or domain names in multiple gTLDs and ccTLDs. The consistency of identity is a primary issue to brands that have global identity, such as Overstock. With the understanding that co-existence of registration and use in more than one single letter/gTLD is allowed, as it exists today for other second levelregistrations, I support the Afilias proposal for moving ahead with allocation of single letters in the manner they have proposed.

Chuck Warren