ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[info-tld-agreement]

No Variable Tier Pricing Period - End of Story

  • To: info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: No Variable Tier Pricing Period - End of Story
  • From: Again <tfanges@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:55:46 -0700 (PDT)

Was reading the registries response to ICANN's request for information and I'm
struck by the similar wording they have provided regarding:

  (iv) to the extent a
variable pricing model for active Registered Names has been implemented in any
other
new or existing gTLD.

  So this means that if a new tld registry or exisiting one starts using
variable pricing then biz, info, org can?

  You've got to be kidding. This does not protect the registrants.

  There should be no variable pricing allowed under any circumstances period.
End of story. If registries want to be able to raise prices across the board -
this should be specified or capped. Ideally, prices should be lowered.

  Then we have the words "an active registration" - how is that defined?

  A domain with nameservers? A domain being used a certain way?

  No variable tier pricing under any cirumstances period.