ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ioc-rcrc-recommendations]

Comment from Portugal

  • To: "ioc-rcrc-recommendations@xxxxxxxxx" <ioc-rcrc-recommendations@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment from Portugal
  • From: Ana Neves <Ana.Neves@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 19:15:01 +0100

We support the development of policy to protect the names and acronyms of
governmental international organizations (IGOs) and non-governmental
international organizations of wide public interest (such as RC and IOC). This
policy should be set up for organizations that meet specific set of abstract
criteria and not for specifically named organizations, in order to ensure
equity and regular public procedure, and to avoid discretionary/discriminatory
decisions. We think the protection for IGOs is more relevant than for
non-governmental organization such as RC/IOC, but we think that protection for
these two organizations is well deserved and, as their consideration is more
advanced at ICANN, that they could be used in the policy definition process as
concrete situations to develop appropriate protection policies which could then
be also applied to IGOs. The only thing that would remain to be done regarding
IGOs would then be the definition of the corresponding eligibility criteria.

Ana Cristina Amoroso das Neves
Director
Departament of Information Society
FCT  Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia
              MINISTÉRIO DA EDUCAÇÃO E CIÊNCIA
Av. D. Carlos I, 126 - 1º andar
1249-074 Lisboa
Tel: +351 213 911 555/6 - +351 213 924 300 (geral)
Fax: +351 213 956 519
Email: ana.neves@xxxxxx<mailto:margarida.ribeiro@xxxxxx>
http://www.fct.pt<http://www.fct.pt/>