ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ioc-rcrc-recommendations]

Personal Comment: Protection of International Olympic Committee (IOC) / Red Cross Names (RCRC) Drafting Team – Recommendations

  • To: ioc-rcrc-recommendations@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Personal Comment: Protection of International Olympic Committee (IOC) / Red Cross Names (RCRC) Drafting Team – Recommendations
  • From: Private Official <marcus.jaeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 20:45:43 +0200

G'day,

once more I commenting on this and still come to the personal conclusion, that
there should be no special protection for any organization, or at least only
the UN +-10 model discussed on Costa Rica.
I might agree that special protection should be made for humanitarian
organizations like the Red Cross, but I can and will agree on commercial
Organizations like the IOC/Olympic Committee.
I was against the protection on the top level already and I am even more
against it on the second level. If these two are granted special protection on
the second level domain, than that is what the others will rest their case on
want special protection too. Once again we would be treating some more special
than others and that is not fair at all to any one. For commercial
Organizations, there should be no special treatment as they have trademarks,
lawyers, etc. to act accordingly and that's what they should do and not use the
general community for their purpose. I am always trying to look at from all
views, but till now I have read nor heard anything that would convince me to
change point.
The domain space and Internet is still for everyone and the strongest should
not miss use their powers by "going" through the back door.

All these my private opinions on this matter and do not reflect any opinions
for the companies I work for.

Cheers,

Marcus

--