ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ioc-rcrc-recommendations]

Reply Comment on Behalf of the International Olympic Committee

  • To: "ioc-rcrc-recommendations@xxxxxxxxx" <ioc-rcrc-recommendations@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Reply Comment on Behalf of the International Olympic Committee
  • From: Kiran Malancharuvil <kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 21:52:18 +0000

We are disappointed to see Mr. Stoll's commentary on the GNSO Recommendations
for Protection of the IOC and Red Cross names at the second level of new gTLDs.
While we understand the issue is prone to vigorous debate in some respects, Mr.
Stoll has made misstatements that we must now address, to protect the integrity
of the discussion.

Mr. Stoll states "There is no reason than the protection of commercial
interests to grant a protection to the IOC and this simply should be taken off
the table as it is wasting everybody's time." The IOC is not a commercial
organization; it is a not-for-profit organization. The IOC is committed
entirely to the concept of Olympism, which refers to its efforts to build a
better world through sport. This is achieved through six programs, Sport for
All, Development through Sport, Education through Sport, Women and Sport, Peace
through Sport and Sport and the Environment. The IOC funds many worthy causes,
some of which save lives. In fact, the IOC was recently honored at the
International AIDS Conference in Washington, DC for its contribution to the
fight against the global AIDS crisis.

In 2011, the IOC submitted a public document to ICANN which explained its
humanitarian efforts. We have attached that document for your review.

We hope that this clarifies the status of the IOC.

Respectfully submitted,

Kiran J. Malancharuvil
Silverberg, Goldman & Bikoff, L.L.P.
Georgetown Place