ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-draft-report]

ALL Trademark Holders Need to be treated fairly

  • To: irtp-draft-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ALL Trademark Holders Need to be treated fairly
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 12:35:43 +0100

Reading this draft report I get the distinct impression that it was drafted in order to assist a particular type of trademark / IP holder and not intellectual property rights holders in general

While I would not wish to negate the rights that IP / TM holders may have, I would want to express deep concern at how the IRT wish to treat IP holders.

In the first instance, the IRT report attempts to make distinctions between companies that hold large number of trademarks and the rest of us.

While I might appreciate the logic behind such thinking I do not consider it acceptable

Any company that holds trademarks should benefit from the same level of protection for their intellectual property rights as anyone else. Why should "Huge Corporation" get an unfair advantage and benefit over a small company with only one or two trademarks? Are the IRT trying to make out that big companies' IP is in some way more valuable than that held by the rest of us?

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection
http://www.blacknight.com/