ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

Disagree with the Rapid Suspension Proposal

  • To: irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Disagree with the Rapid Suspension Proposal
  • From: Lea de Groot <lea.de.groot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 12:44:18 +1000

Dear Sir,

I am writing to ask you not to approve the proposed Uniform Rapid Suspension System. While there is little published information on this proposal, it seems to be a method for large companies to close their competitors doors purely upon accusation, with no investment by the accuser. Presently it costs around $1600 to get a trademark-infringing site closed, using the existing dispute system.
This is an effective limit against frivolous usage.
The proposed system is far to open to abuse and gaming, allowing anyone to close a competitors site on a whim.

When compared to the criminal justice system, it is the equivalent of putting someone on jail purely upon complaint. None of us would stand for that. Any accusation must be followed up with investigation and an opportunity to stand against one's accusers before a 'sentence' is carried out.

I repeat - please do not approve the proposed Uniform Rapid Suspension System

warmly,
Lea
--
Lea de Groot