ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

Small companies support the URS

  • To: irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Small companies support the URS
  • From: Karl Handy <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 11:22:43 +0100

Dear Sir or Madam,

I operate a small web design and management company in the East of England.
Domain names are a vital but small part of my business. Over the past few
years I and my clients have had no choice on a number of occasions but to
pay domain pirates or domainers who put up PPC sites very significant sums
of money in order to “reclaim” domain names that match our company names.

This is the first time that I have ever written to ICANN. I am doing so to
express support for the recommendations of the IRT which include the URS, a
suspension system that will empower me to tackle pirates. Everyone I have
spoken to about this loves the idea of locking domain names – though I would
also have liked the ability to apply for a transfer under the URS.

Some of the comments that I have read have criticized the URS for being
unfair on small internet users. In fact it is very fair. It gives us a tool
to fight back.

Thank you,

Karl Handy