ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

comments of Tucows Inc.

  • To: irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: comments of Tucows Inc.
  • From: elliot noss <enoss@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 08:55:19 -0400

Below (and reproduced in the attached text file) are comments on the IRT report on behalf of Tucows Inc., a large registrar, a brand owner and a registrant.

INTRODUCTION
=============
The IRT process provides the ICANN community for an unique opportunity to accomplish important goals beyond those originally envisioned.

There is no question that the existing process for trademark owners to enforce and police their marks is expensive and cumbersome. As a trademark holder, Tucows has had to deal with policing its trademark on the Internet for the last dozen years. We directly experience the challenges in the current regime and would immediately make recourse to the URS to deal with issues on an expedited basis. We support this important goal.

In addition to that important goal there are two other peripheral benefits that are available to the ICANN community in the current instance. A useful model for some policy development situations and the opportunity to change the tenor of the past ten years of ICANN policy development.

Virtually all participants in the current policy development process find it slow and cumbersome. There are numerous examples of policy that, by the time it is fully developed as consensus policy, is already out of date. The only parties that could find the current process rewarding in any way are those who are focused on ensuring that nothing happens. The current process makes that less than noble goal easily achievable. The IRT process holds the potential to demonstrate an alternative that may be usable in appropriate circumstances.

In addition, we observe that ICANN's history has been marked by IP interests being too often pitted against Registrars and Registrants. We find this sad and counter-productive. We believe that this tension has worked to the benefit of bad actors on both sides of the ledger. We believe that the opportunity exists to change the dynamic to the more appropriate "good guys" vs. "bad guys". When positive actors on both sides of these issues are fighting with each other it works to the benefit of bad actors. The ICANN meeting in Sydney was an important first step in changing the historical dynamic. We caution all parties that this will take care and diligence as we all have a long history of behaving one way and it will be extremely easy to slip back into previous habits as well as for those focused on halting progress to recreate hostilities.

COMMENTS ON THE URS
=====================
With that said, we make the following specific comments and suggestions. We have limited our comments to the specific implementation of the URS. This is not because we do not have any comments on other areas but rather because we felt that focusing our comments would allow us to be most productive.

Our goal with the below comments was primarily to help design a URS that would allow all parties to have greater confidence in the integrity of the process. Administrative processes are difficult to design and we believe that the most fundamental design principle is that "justice need not only be done, but that justice need be seen to be done".

With that backdrop we recommend the following four changes to the existing URS design:

1. Competitive Service Providers

There should be numerous URS service providers ("USPs") and competition among them. This will accomplish two important goals. It will make the the cost of URS proceedings more reasonable and, more importantly, it will make the administration of names going through a URS proceeding much more easily managed by the complainant.

On this second point, the ability for a complainant to manage URS processes in the same environment as they manage their domain registrations will be extremely efficient and will allow trademark holders to more simply initiate, track and follow through on URS proceedings.

A peripheral benefit of this approach will be to de-politicize the process of choosing a single supplier. Any such process wherein ICANN is choosing a single supplier to provide what will inevitably be a lucrative service will become political as will the setting of prices under such contract. One can only imagine the RFP or tender process and the inevitable studies by experts that would go into determining a "fair and appropriate price". Any time this can be avoided in the ICANN process we should seek to do so, especially in a circumstance like this where the alternative is far superior in other respects.

2. Separation of business processes and adjudication

The concept of competitive USPs is dependent upon the separation URS- related business processes and the actual adjudication.

In reviewing the URS process as laid out in the IRT report, it contains numerous steps that are simple business processes. These include the commencing of a URS, the various notifications to parties, the communication and provisioning with registries and allowing the parties to the process the ability to track and manage their participation.

By contrast the actual adjudication, while the central aspect of the matter, is a simple single step. It simply requires the adjudicator to receive and review the report and provide her or his finding.

It is important in this separation for the process to work seamlessly such that any USP can work with any adjudicator. These two pieces should work together in such a way that it is completely invisible to the parties to the matter.

3. Random assignment of adjudicators

It is highly desirable that the assignment of adjudicators to matters is done on a random basis. In the current UDRP the process of shopping for panelists is not desirable and detracts from the confidence that parties can have in the process. It also creates incentives for panelists to decide in a certain way. One need only look at the number of panelists who market themselves on the basis of their successful complainant representation to see this issues. This is not to suggest that panelists do so, but rather that the design of a process that deals with important rights must have as much structural integrity as possible.

We suggest a simple process wherein the USP informs ICANN of the commencement of a matter and that matter is assigned an adjudicator. We suggest deeper design of this assignment process be taken outside this document, but suffice it to say design here would be fairly trivial.

4. Adjudicators cannot also be advocates

It is extremely important that URS adjudicators are not also advocates under the existing UDRP. While it is desirable that UDRP panelists provide an important source for URS adjudicators we feel strongly that individuals who choose to act for either complainants or respondents in the current UDRP process are precluded from also being adjudicators under the URS.

We understand that things were very different at the onset of the UDRP process and that finding parties with relevant skills was quite difficult in the 1999-2000 timeframe. The world has moved on. Domain name practice and the number of lawyers and other professionals with exposure to domain name legal issues in particular and Internet issues in general has expanded by at least one, if not two orders of magnitude.

Again, this is central to integrity in the process, to ensuring that all parties to the process have confidence in it and in creating a process that has structural integrity.

Conclusion

We note that adopting the above four recommendations will still require two central services, accrediting adjudicators and USPs as well as assigning adjudicators to specific matters. Our recommendation would be that ICANN itself preform these functions with the help of the appropriate members of the community.

Thank you for the opportunity to submit comments and for the hard work with good intentions of those involved.

Respectfully,
Elliot Noss
CEO
Tucows Inc.
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf949\cocoasubrtf330
{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\margl1440\margr1440\vieww22300\viewh14040\viewkind0
\pard\tx566\tx1133\tx1700\tx2267\tx2834\tx3401\tx3968\tx4535\tx5102\tx5669\tx6236\tx6803\ql\qnatural\pardirnatural

\f0\fs24 \cf0 Below are comments on the IRT report on behalf of Tucows Inc., a
large registrar, a brand owner and a registrant.\
\
INTRODUCTION\