ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

Opposition to Proposed URS

  • To: <irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Opposition to Proposed URS
  • From: "JR" <j@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 11:18:04 +0100

I oppose the proposed Uniform Rapid Suspension.

The question should be asked; what is so wrong with the existing UDRP that
it needs to be usurped by the proposed URS?
I do not believe that ICANN has sufficiently explained this.

Once again we see the interests of big business ride roughshod over the
individual without fully considering the impact this could have on the
internet landscape.
How long will it take for the URS to become a tool for the unscrupulous?
How much damage to legitimate businesses could be caused with the URS and
some malicious intent? Then there is the sticky issue of multiple trademark
registrants for the same mark.  Or even multiple registrants for the same
mark in multiple countries.
Are we going to see claim and counter claim resulting in domains being
rendered serially inactive?

The issue of protecting and enforcing trademark rights does need to be taken
seriously. After all, a cleaner, more legitimate web that is held to a
greater degree of accountability will benefit all of it's users but not if
the legislation takes a one sided approach. A desire to increase the
accessibility to correct legal process should be applauded but not without
building sufficient checks and balances.

No system is infallible regardless of it's intent but to actively create a
system with such visible fallacies in place is criminal.

Yours sincerely,
Jonathan Rusca

Verdant Industries Ltd.