ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irtp-b-recommendations]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

IRTP and TEAC

  • To: <irtp-b-recommendations@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: IRTP and TEAC
  • From: <Andreas.Bartels@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:50:57 +0200

We think the recommendation concerning the Transfer Emergency Action Contact
(TEAC) is in general a good idea, but puts too much burden on small and medium
sized registrars. 4 hours of response time is a very short period of time. The
registrar business does not happen only in the US so calls could occur also in
the middle of the night and during the weekend. It is of course possible to
take the call or an e-mail 24x7 by an internal call center, but do we really
want this? We want that the transfer issue is solved by people who are experts.
I guess that not all (complex) issues can be solved by normal employees during
the night shift.

In our opinion the 4 hours should be a recommendation and not be binding for
registrars - and it should also not be a reason for compliance action by ICANN.

I would assume that even the registries and ICANN will have problems to react
adequately within 4 hours at 2 a.m. on a Saturday morning.

If there is a real emergency the registrar who identifies this "emergency"
could work out a temporary solution with the registry (if it can not reach the
TEAC). The other registrar should then be informed by the registry about the
actions taken. A final solution/ settlement can take place also after 1 or 2
days (after investigating the emergency in more detail).

Again: it will be no problem to have a person answering a call 24x7, but the
answer and reaction should be done by a person who is able to solve the issue
quickly. The emergency issues usually involve an expert (unless it is a very
obvious case).

If large registrars want to offer a 4 hour response time it is wonderful - but
don't force smaller registrars into this.

Kind regards

Andreas Bartels

Deutsche Telekom AG
Technical Service
Dr. Andreas Bartels
IP-Provisioning Domain Registration
Ammerlaender Heerstr. 138, D-26129 Oldenburg, Germany
+49 441 234 4550 (Phone)
+49 441 234 4559 (Fax)
E-mail: andreas.bartels@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.registrar.telekom.de

Life is for sharing.

Deutsche Telekom AG
Supervisory Board: Prof. Dr. Ulrich Lehner (Chairman)
Board of Management: René Obermann (Chairman), Dr. Manfred Balz, Reinhard
Clemens, Niek Jan van Damme, Timotheus Höttges, Edward R. Kozel, Thomas
Sattelberger
Commercial register: Amtsgericht Bonn HRB 6794
Corporate seat: Bonn
Vat identification no. DE 123475223, WEEE reg. no. DE 50478376

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised
forbidden.

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>