ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irtp-c-preliminary-report]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

IRTP C

  • To: "irtp-c-preliminary-report@xxxxxxxxx" <irtp-c-preliminary-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: IRTP C
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:04:08 +0000

There are, from my understanding, three topics being considered by this
upcoming PDP

1 - "change of control"
2 - FOA timeouts / time limits
3 - Registrar IDs being assigned by registries

Topic number 3 is the least important of the 3 and is possibly the easiest to
actually implement, though obviously the registries would be in a better
position to make that judgement. Whether it should be part of an actual PDP or
not is debatable, though the topic did come out of our deliberations in IRTP -
B, so I am partially responsible for it being here now.

The most important topic in my personal opinion is the concept of "change of
control"

 From our discussions during IRTP-B this topic came up quite a bit.

 From my own experience as a registrar (and registrant and rights holder) I can
see how the lack of definition might be positive for some people, but overall
there is a real risk of damage without it being defined or at least discussed.
It might not be feasible to introduce / find a solution to the issue in this
PDP, but the complete lack of any mention of this concept anywhere in ICANN's
policies is worrying.

FOA timeouts - again this is one of those topics that should probably be
addressed. Though it would be helpful to know what problems actually exist as a
result of there being no FOA defined at present. Is it causing an issue? Is the
lack of a timeout being abused?

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection
ICANN Accredited Registrar
http://www.blacknight.com/
http://blog.blacknight.com/
http://blacknight.mobi/
http://mneylon.tel
Intl. +353 (0) 59  9183072
US: 213-233-1612
UK: 0844 484 9361
Locall: 1850 929 929
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mneylon

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>