ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[jig-draft-final-report]

Comments regarding Single Character IDN TLDs

  • To: jig-draft-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments regarding Single Character IDN TLDs
  • From: HiroHOTTA <hotta@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 21:05:19 +0900

Thanks for the opportunity to comment on this important issue.

I, for one of the CJK script users, recognize the necessity of
single character IDN TLDs.

I am for the Report in general - with some comments as follows :

a. (page2) 6. Single Letters

  The word 'letter' is not defined in this Report, even supposing
that it means 'ASCII letter' in new gTLD Applicant Guidebook.  For
example, 'letter' can mean 'Latin letter'.  So, I propose to give
a definition to the word 'letter' in this Report.

b. (page5) 4. JIG Implementation ...    D. Requested Single ....

  The Report says that case-by-case analysis should be done in the
"new gTLD Process".  However, it doesn't refer to the case of IDN
ccTLDs. Where does this difference comes from?  If there's no reason,
IDN ccTLD should also be referred to.

c. (page7) V. The following edits are ....

  I cannot see the background of this editing proposal.  It sounds
to me reasonable that "the visual-similarity to any label in any
script (not only in ASCII)" should be avoided as the original
sentence means.

Hiro Hotta