ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[jig-initial-report]

comment to Single Character IDN TLD issue 5 and 6

  • To: jig-initial-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: comment to Single Character IDN TLD issue 5 and 6
  • From: Joseph Yee <joseph.yee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:34:51 -0400

Hi all,

First I would like to say the report is great and a good starting
point to discuss all related issues.

The followings are my personal comments for issue 5 and issue 6.

Issue 5:

Another concern is generic geographic terms like dot-coountry,
dot-state, dot-street (and their equivalent in every other languages)
that general public may mistake as TLDs from legit authorities or
countries.  Example of 法.国 (Simplified Chinese of Franc.Country [no
'e' at Franc], combining become 'France').  Possible confusion from
string combination would need extra attention for the policy.  Perhaps
this was discussed under gTLD already?

Issue 6:

As mentioned by the report, TLD name validation is an issue to all
TLDs, not just single character IDN TLD.  I would suggest to initiate
more outreach to application communities (such as programming language
group like Java, Python and Open Source projects like web application
platforms and databases) seeking where available to bring more
awareness and improve TLD/domains validation or related concerns.
Google has a program called "Summer of Code" that worked with open
source communities to improve quality, it's one possible way to bridge
with the application communities.  This would help to promote IDNs in
adoption and strength the eco-system.

In mid to long term, this will create both the enabling platform
(IDNs, policies, DNS) and enabling toosl (IDN and IDN-TLD aware
programming languages and applications) for  entrepreneur and general
public who prefer to communicate and identify themselves in their
native languages in Internet.

Best Regards,
Joseph Yee